Wednesday 9 May 2012

Ideas for final exam piece

I created this piece using a HB pencil, black artist pens in four different sizes, black ink and a thin paintbrush and a red felt-tip. I started off by sketching out the design using HB pencil, I decided to use the Warehouse Theatre building as the main feature in this piece because it's a very interesting looking building that has rather unusual features such as a set of tables and chairs on the roof  and arches in the windows and a lot of different patterns and textures are involved all over the building. Initially I didn't have the smoke cloud in the sketched design but when I looked at it I felt that there was too much empty space and it needed to be filled some how so I decided that as there is a chimney on the top of the building, I would create a smoke cloud coming out of it in which the lettering could sit and I filled the smoke cloud with spirals and curls to make the piece more interesting to look at and more memorable as well as incorporating more of the style of Lizzie Mary Cullen within my work. When I started going over the pencil sketch using artist pens I felt that although Lizzie Mary Cullen's work is monotonous, the part of the work that I wanted to stand out-the text-wasn't entirely clear with all the details in the background of the text so I decided to incorporate a main colour to the typographical areas. I chose the colour red as it symbolises love and passion which suits the theme of the piece, as well as being a bold and vibrant colour which would draw attention to the typographical elements which is what I was trying to achieve by adding colour. I felt that there was still something missing from the piece when I looked at it and realised that it was because there wasn't very much contrast in tone/shade so I decided to add ink to certain areas of the piece to improve the overall look of the piece and create a more realistic contrast of tone. I am happy with how this piece turned out, however I feel that I could still add more to improve the piece such as creating a background instead of leaving it white as it is right now, I could add a general wash of colour/colour using watercolour paints to the paper before drawing upon it or I could tea-stain the paper or do something similar to create some sort of background. I could also add an element of collage to the piece such as photographs of more buildings or layers of the same building from different angles, or find a newspaper article relating to the theme of London, love, memories or the location of each building drawn and cut them into building shapes and layer then behind these images or something similar. I could also add three-dimensional elements to my work with certain areas sticking out of the page such as the word "London" or I could have the piece build up with three-dimensional elements places atop one another to create an interesting effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment