Friday 25 November 2011

Oscar Wilson inspired Calligram


The first step I took in creating my Oscar Wilson inspired Calligram was to draw the outline of my selected object-a model of the Eiffel tower- in HB pencil on A5 white paper. Once I had finished drawing the outline and basic detail of the object, I proceeded to create a list of words that relate to the Eiffel tower such as "Bonjour", "Sallut", "France", "Attraction" etc. I then used these words to fill the space within the outline of the object. I based the style of my lettering on the work of Oscar Wilson, who uses a bold typeface. The next step I took was to lay a sheet of tracing paper-secured by masking tape- over the top of my work and traced all of the words I had written but not the outline of the shape. I proceeded to scan the tracing paper into the computer and save it to my desktop. Once I had done that I opened the image-file in Adobe Photoshop and used said software to adjust the brightness and darkness of the image-so as to make sure that the background is white- and cropped the image to remove any background space. I then opened the image-file in Adobe Illustrator and "live traced" it so as to select the outlines of the image, afterwards I "live coloured" the image using a colour swatch and a fill I had then created my Calligram.

No comments:

Post a Comment